Monday, February 16, 2009

Beware of the Broiler

In an effort to curb my current spastic writing tendencies (or lack there of), I suppose I will offer up a story this evening. The other night, I nearly lost all of my hair...yes, it nearly went up in a ball of fire and a cloud of smoke. You see, in an effort to make dinner, I dipped my head into the oven and neglected to remind myself that the broiler was on; and in doing so missed the flame shooting from the top most portion of my oven. I sat down to eat our delicious dinner of rolls with pesto, peppered turkey, mozzarella, and tomato when Laurel unsuspectingly brushed the top of my head. After such a motion, I noticed the smell of something burning and commented on such an observation. Casually, Laurel replied that perhaps I was smelling an old campfire or something. This I knew, however, could not have been the case, that is unless her campfires were composed of synthetic materials that did not smell like burning wood. Hurriedly, I ran into the kitchen, suspecting the worst. Not finding any fiery messes or melting plastic, I returned to the living room where Laurel asked what was covering my face and mentioned that she thought my hair had caught on fire. Confused, and a wee bit perplexed, I ran to the bathroom and did in fact discover that my hair had caught on fire. This left me thinking that though, I was in need of a trim, using the broiler was probably not the best avenue into acquiring one.

3 comments:

Dameo said...

That's just a LITTLE bit entertaining! Aww man. At least it wasn't your scalp or anything of the sort. :-p

Caught in the Web said...

Oh no! But, even if you were bald, you would still be daaarling!

Laurel said...

I am glad it was merely a singe and not a consuming fire. Perhaps we will get you a metal helmet to wear when using the broiler. That way you will know when you are too close to the flame as it will get warm letting you know to step back, but not catch on fire.... ;-p